Hi all

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
BertietheBunnie
XM newbie

Re: Hi all

Post by BertietheBunnie » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:06 pm

Hi Colin
I still have the 1950's 2cv van....which I drove for 3 weeks whilst waiting for the Alternator to arrive from the UK.It was great for pootling along the French Country lanes at 50kph but after 3 weeks of using it every day the novelty had worn off.I have done just over 4000km in it as I drove it when the XM broke last year.

I brought it over from the UK last year and the journey of just under 500 miles took just 18 1/2 hours actual driving time and necessitated an overnight stop....but it got me here and that was the main thing

I was chatting to a Dutch chap and admiring his totally original and unrestored DS Estate Familliale(?).It really is a mellow looking car that apparently is too far gone to restore but seems to get a test cert every 2 years!I haven't seen any old Tractions or DS's in barns or fields.Any cars here go for prices far higher than in the UK.

Best regards Rob

nirgunapa
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by nirgunapa » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:24 pm

Welcome on board Rob!

You can get yourself a decent car here http://www.leboncoin.fr/li?q=citroen+xm ... ex%3A75001

An XM estate would make a welcome change to the usual Volvo estates of antique dealers :lol:
Colin

1992 XM Prestige
1999 Skoda Felicia - the wife's new drive
1959 Commer Cob - SORN
1952 Riley RMA - retirement project

2001 Volvo S80 - for sale soon

colinxm
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by colinxm » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:41 pm

Hi Rob, the same holds true over here,second hand cars cost on average ten times more over here than in the Uk AND we have to pay a charge (based on the age of the car) to the state for the privilege of transfering ownership. My xm - 1995 2.1td, poverty spec (no back seats, no rear window winder mechanisms,no hydractive, no ABS, no second display in the dash, no aircon, false driving lamps etc etc) cost me the best part of £4000,00 plus £160,00 to the state and then ate it's own headgasket :x I've spent the last 3 years and a small fortune in retrofitting most of the missing items, I'm hoping to drop on a very cheap, wrecked xm estate to rob the hydroactive bits from.

Uk posters don't know they're born ;)

Colin.P
1995 Cit XM 2,1 TD Silver Estate - deceased :-(
2004 Opel Vectra Estate
2008 Kia Ceed td
1989 Pug 205 Cabriolet
1998 Ford Puma
1979 Triumph TR7

davetherave
Citrobics expert

Post by davetherave » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:46 am

I was pretty shocked when looking at cars in the south of france, i thought i paid a bit to much for my xantia at £650, but i saw an older much more battered one, at £1500 euros!! Admitedly rust isnt a problem, but i am yet to see a car more than two years old without some form of accident damage! (apart from those at the citreon museum they were mint!)
If and when I move out i think ill be taking the english cars out! way way cheaper!
(95) 2.1TD XM Exclusive Silver RP: 6951
(87) 2.5td Cx
(01) Gpz500s