Greetings from Finland

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
Rojekti
Knows how to use the parking brake

Greetings from Finland

Post by Rojekti » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:06 pm

Hi there. My experience in Citroens started when I was 19 and didn't know anything about cars. I just wanted a Citroen Xantia because it was black and it had electric windows so I bought it. Later I realized what a gem it was. It was magnificent to drive and I eventually learned that cars are NOT alike. That was years ago.

For some stupid reasons I ended up driving a Suzuki Alto. It's been 3 years now. I dont like this at all. It's a work car, that's all.

We need a second car and I decided to get a Xantia, but when I went checking out Citroens for sale, I found few XM's. I readed a lot about them and realized THEY are legends, not Xantias.

Now I'm looking into 2.0i (122hp) , manual, 1990, black leather interior, a bit too experienced (320 000 kilometers) but in good condition, owned by 2 people, both of them Citroen-lovers. Just has had a big overhaul to brakes etc. In good shape. One problem: this has been standing for 1½-2 years since the owner started focusing into older Citroens. Just before it's long nap, it was checked and maintenanced throgoughly.

Now he's selling it at only 300 euros, so I'm renting a trailer and getting it home. I put it in condition and get it on road. I know there might be some difficulties. If you have any clues or something to say, please do.

Cheers.
XM 1990, 2.0i 8V, manual (important: black leather and wood in interior)

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Re: Greetings from Finland

Post by captainhaddock » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:25 pm

Oh well just go for it if it's in good conditions! You get it almost for free after all. You'll find so much knowledge and help here. I say good luck and you'll forget your xantia soon after you drive an XM (if yr xantia wasn't an activa or V6) Good luck!

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:47 pm

I would say the brakes will want a clean and a full service, can belt maybe and some rubber bits with some fresh fuel and its good to go bar any problems present before the lay up. Good luck and welcome to the club.

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

White Exec
Citroen God!
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime, Sable Phenicien
Location: ex-Ealing, Cheshire, W.Sussex & Surrey. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain)

Post by White Exec » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:14 pm

Real welcome to you, and good luck with the rescue and trailering. 320,000km....gosh!
Look forward to some photos, and lots more news about how things go.
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime RP5800 Sable
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998..2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001..2003

Rojekti

Post by Rojekti » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:34 pm

Thanks for warm welcome and ideas. It's definitely almost FREE, so I'm willing to risk for it. Not fun to have a car wreck in yard, but if it runs and whole thing isn't a hoax, I'm in.. it definitely LOOKED very good.

You'll get photos and all - I can write full log of everything here and since I like to shoot videos etc ( https://www.youtube.com/user/Ropkeit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) you will get them too.

My Xantia was 1.8i, not Activa as far as I know,1998, older frame. It was great to drive,thought, and C5 wasn't as great. I remember changing "comfortable spheres" to every corner but it didn't smoothen the drive at all, what a disappointment.

Anything special about the hydralics, what the long nap might have done to them? Should spheres be allright and all, anything to do care about in pump etc ?

xantia_v6
XM Guru

Post by xantia_v6 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:39 pm

It is impossible to predict what might have deteriorated. When I bought my XM it had sat in a garage for 3 years without being started, but after fitting a new battery, it started and ran fine, the only storage related problem was the tyres which were 12 and 15 years old.
1999 XM Exclusive V6 24V ES9 Manual (LHD) 105,000 km
1997 Xantia Exclusive V6 (RHD) 45,000 miles

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:04 pm

Yes check tyres. Petrol hoses, just renew them all in one go. Just give it a full service and maybe new spheres you'll find out soon enough. Service includes fresh LHM including bleeding brakes and maybe ABS block if you have ABS. Don't worry about the mileage if as you say it is well looked after. My xant was 1.8 16v but long forgotten now, eventhough it was a very nice car. Good luck and send them pics!

Rojekti

Post by Rojekti » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:54 pm

Sure.

Okay, I'm now a slightly bit wiser as the car is fitted with 2.0i 8V/R4 OHC engine.

Tomorrow I get it home and day after tomorrow, it'll be a first startup.. gotta video it and put on youtube then. I'm a farmer so it's going to be hard to find hours to fix the car up but should get it in working condition before summer if it doesn't have any major problems with gears/engine/etc.

Rojekti

Post by Rojekti » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:07 pm

The car is in the yard now. I started the engine today and it ran well. One petrol pipe broke down, I changed it. Filters seem new, LHM seems new, motor oil seems new. Everything works (electrics etc). Transmission works. Engine runs great. Height control works.

I'll go test drive a bit faster, see if the car brakes (it did a bit, didn't test properly). Battery was empty, but now starts the engine just like that.

Amazing how everything seems to be working.

The car has very well recorder history.

Only thing I miss is operator's manual - didn't get one.

Gotta clean her up from inside out and test drive it more - faster and rougher.

I'll put pics soon too. I recorder video of the startup. Engine was dry so it took a while but only like 5 minutes.

I'm absolutely thrilled. Geez

EDIT..

Washed the XM and then some test driving.

Back end doesn't respect my orders. Goes way up and way down but finds hard to stay in the middle. Needs some exercise, I guess. Parts and mechanics rusty, perhaps.

Sadly, when I test drived alot faster, there occurred some problems. A bar of some sort (perhaps balance??) came loose in the bottom, apparently killing a LHM hose on it's way. Had to quickly drive back to garage. The bar ploughed and LHM-fluid left a neat path where I drove.

Gotta check it out closer when I got time.

I was wondering if the XM wouldn't figure out anything to fix for me!

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:05 pm

Rojekti wrote: Back end doesn't respect my orders. Goes way up and way down but finds hard to stay in the middle. Needs some exercise, I guess. Parts and mechanics rusty, perhaps.

Sadly, when I test drived alot faster, there occurred some problems. A bar of some sort (perhaps balance??) came loose in the bottom, apparently killing a LHM hose on it's way. Had to quickly drive back to garage. The bar ploughed and LHM-fluid left a neat path where I drove.
Early XM had an issue with the height control rod bearing corroding and binding the linkage. Strip, clean and grease will fix it, worst case a new bearing.

The LHM leak will be a strut return hose has split. No big deal.

I had an early 2.01 - 8valve. No ball of fire, but ok.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White