My new car (some stigma attached).

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
Nuage
Can find the S1 radio

My new car (some stigma attached).

Post by Nuage » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:21 pm

Hello All
I'm new to the forum, although I've been visiting for a while, so I'd just like to introduce myself and my new car.
A 1994 2.5 TD VSX. M925 OVN.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=3626" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
download/file.php?mode=view&id=3625" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I bought her about amonth ago from Malcolm at Savoys. I understand there is a bit of 'history' about her on this forum from a previous owner which made me think twice before I went ahead with the deal, but ultimately it's not the cars fault or Malcolm's so ahead I went.

Anyway I'm pretty pleased with her. The drive back from Lancashire was a delight, despite the foul weather. There are a few issues which I'm beginning to get sorted.

I think the doseur valve needs servicing, as the rear end drops rapidly on start up after being parked for a while. It soon pumps back up again.

There is no Hydractive light on start up. The suspension seems a bit glitchy at times. So I'm wondering if the ECU could do with being Lexiad.
The suspension is mostly soft but occasionally stays very firm regardless of driving mode. As this is my first XM I've got no idea what normal is.

Rust. Not much. But have been exploring her bows this week. There is a lot of rust around the side mounts for the bumper. One side is rusted through. And a lot of rust on the cross piece behind the bumper in between the upper and lower grills.

So, I'll start a topic on Members Cars to document the joys and pains of becoming an XM owner.

This forum is truly great. It's a mine of invaluable information, a superb archive.

Thanks .

Andy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cxprestigeauto
Citroen go-to-guy

Re: My new car (some stigma attached).

Post by cxprestigeauto » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:21 pm

Welcome to going public on the forum!

Every car has issues, even the youngest cars are 15 years old and some of us 25!

Wear your rust with pride and bear your electrical glitches with stoicism.

Rob
1991 XM 2.0 Si auto RP 4903 (12 April 1990) Alpine White
2019 Suzuki Vitara AllGrip SZ5 Automatic 1.4 BoosterJet. White
1972 Banham Sprint kit car (Frogeye Sprite replica, really a Mini!)

Nuage
Can find the S1 radio

Post by Nuage » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:33 am

Thanks Rob
I knew there would be issues so I'm not disheartened.
Overall I'm very pleased with the car. The engine seems to be in fine fettle and I'm doing what I can to keep it that way.
New rads and coolant is next on the list.
It is a joy to drive, speeding ticketly fast, I seem to be catching up with other cars more than I used to.
Compared to my CX she's in A1 condition. The CX is a symphony of rust.

Andy

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:39 am

Welcome Andy.

your rust areas are a common place that you have found. The more serious areas that need watching are under out of sight.

out riggers behind and around the front jacking points increadably important and also weither the jacking points are bent or straight..
rear cill ends and to a point all the cill as a whole...
rear floor around the subframe mounts again get quite serious.. these are the worse areas..

Bumper mounts disintegrate but of course are cosmetic and ive seen many which have completely disapeared and there is the need to completely rebuild the mount and the bracket on the bumper ends.
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Nuage
Can find the S1 radio

Post by Nuage » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:54 am

Thanks Citroenxm
Also thanks for your contributions to the forum as a whole, they've been very helpful to me!
There has been some work done already on some of hess areas. The rear floor and subframe mounts have been rewelded by Savoys as have some areas of the cills.
I'm a little unclear about the cill work as it's been thoroughly undersealed, which is good in some ways but I'd kind of like to know what's beneath. It all sounds solid when I tap it. The cill is bent on the o/s near the jacking point. The tab is bent out. Ominous?
Rear cill ends are good, a little surface rust at the base of the c pillars, but I'm sure this is on the outside not from the inside out if that makes sense. I've had a peek behind the wheel arch covers. Was thinking of Waxoyling these areas, and inside the cills if I can find an access point.
Andy

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:14 am

It all depends which way a car falls off the jacking plate when they are being used.. always jack them on the subframes!!

Also too.. remove the lower half of the front wings where they curl under the outer cill.. lots of mud gets in here even with a plastic arch liner and it then holds water and rots.. good practice to just bring the lower wing out and check for mud..

undo the two 10mm bolts in the door hinge area and the lower wing has a metal like C clip holding it on.. pull the arch liner out and remove the 10mm bolt in there too... actually pulling the arch liner out will show you if there is mud there or not.
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Nuage
Can find the S1 radio

Post by Nuage » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:38 am

I'll have a look.
Heading up to the workshop now, where the car is up on ramps.
I'll get some pics of the cill near the jacking points.

White Exec
Citroen God!
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime, Sable Phenicien
Location: ex-Ealing, Cheshire, W.Sussex & Surrey. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain)

Post by White Exec » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:52 am

Access to entire length of sill inner is from a rubber plug in the rear vertical end of the sill/rear wheel arch. Good idea to remove (or wrap) front seat belt reel, to prevent waxing it. Otherwise drill a hole in the sill top, under the plastic tread plate.

Oh, and welcome, Andy. Good to have another 2.5 on the fleet!
Careful with the right foot...
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime RP5800 Sable
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998..2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001..2003

Nuage
Can find the S1 radio

Post by Nuage » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:30 pm

Spent an enlightening day in the workshop. Seems I need a bit of welding here and there,
Moving over to the Members Cars topic.
Cheers
Andy