New Member in Canada interested in XM from Japan :)

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
Andrew
Can find the S1 radio

New Member in Canada interested in XM from Japan :)

Post by Andrew » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:15 pm

Hello Everyone,
I have been a Citroen enthusiast since my first car, a Dyane 6 that I rebuilt (purchased from the insurance company) when I was 16 and living in Herefordshire. Since then I've had 2CVs, Camionette, Ami 8 Estate and in Canada I rebuilt a 67 DS 21 Pallas and had other D models including a Safari and '62 D model. I used to buy parts from Andy Spares when I visited family and take them back with me on the plane. I'm familiar with the CX, GS, BX too. I have been without a Citroen for 15 years and I am seriously considering purchasing a series 2 XM 3.0L V6. This XM was imported from Japan and there is no service history. The car is 1500Kms away, so too far to check it out without knowing more about it. I have photos and a video of the engine running. It looks great, no rust and low mileage (under 60,000 miles/100,000Kms). From listening to the engine I can tell that the pump is cycling too frequently and therefore prepared for an internal leak or low/flat accumulators and spheres. I am also prepared to fit a cam belt and the other drive belts, tensioners and water pump.
It's an automatic and I would be concerned about changing the transmission fluid if it has never been done (seals become hardened from old transmission fluid and new fluid softens them and then they leak).
I have the VIN and ORGA number and I am wondering if anyone may know of any enthusiasts in Japan that may be able to help me contact some Citroen dealers to see if they have any maintenance history on record?
Thanks,
Bye for now,
Andrew
New Brunswick, Canada

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Re: New Member in Canada interested in XM from Japan :)

Post by citroenxm » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:23 pm

The prv 3.0 was fitted into series two production to 1997 model year. You might know the prv doesn't use a cam belt but it's replacment the esj 24v v6 does.

If thats a car from japan would it be then RHD?

ps. welcome warmly to our forum.
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Andrew
Can find the S1 radio

Post by Andrew » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:39 pm

Thank you for your reply and welcome, yes it's the ESJ 24V V6 ('98) and it's LHD, so good for Canada. :)
Here's a link to the engine running video that I requested to hear the pump cycle frequency: https://youtu.be/catwd23cFoA

xantia_v6
XM Guru

Post by xantia_v6 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:10 pm

I would not be concerned about the regulator tick rate on that car, HA2 cars often have a bit of internal leakage in the electrovalves, which does not really cause any trouble.

The 4HP20 transmission never leaks, except sometimes due to corrosion around the banjo joint in the LH wheel well (this is easily fixed). The problem with these transmissions is that although generally very well designed, they have a fine filter which collects wear debris from the clutches and typically gets blocked some time between 120,000 miles and 200,000 miles. The filter itself is not the problem, it is the fact that you need to remove the engine and split the transmission to change the filter... still, the one you are looking at should have a way to go yet.

It is essential that the correct fluid is used in those transmissions, never never use any flavour of Dextron.

The ES9 timing belt is good for 80,000 miles or 10 years, and very rarely fails even if neglected (but there are a few things you need to know before changing one).

Be warned that although these are wonderful cars, some parts are getting very had to find, particularly those that are specific to the ES9 installation in XMs and Xantias, as there were too few made for there to be any pattern parts available.
1999 XM Exclusive V6 24V ES9 Manual (LHD) 105,000 km
1997 Xantia Exclusive V6 (RHD) 45,000 miles

jamescarruthers
Has changed a sphere or two
Orga / RP numbers: 1990 2.1 TD SED manual hatch Rouge Delage RP4937

Post by jamescarruthers » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:28 pm

I can't help too much with the car but just wanted to say hello as I grew up for a few years in St. John, New Brusnwick! Vague but fond memories of Canada.
1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG

Previous XMs:
H656 BKJ XM 2.1 SED

Andrew
Can find the S1 radio

Post by Andrew » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:33 pm

Hello xantia_v6, thank you for your helpful reply. I know that the hydraulic reservoir is filled with LHM and I would do the flush and drive with Hydraflush. I'm hoping that indicates that the correct transmission fluid has also been used but I don't know as there is no service history. What colour is the correct transmission fluid (hopefully not red :D )?
Thanks,
Andrew

xantia_v6
XM Guru

Post by xantia_v6 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:36 pm

The correct transmission fluid is clear when new and smells faintly of cats pee! From about 1999, the transmission dipstick was deleted, so it is not as easy to check the level or colour of the fluid (nor to refill).
1999 XM Exclusive V6 24V ES9 Manual (LHD) 105,000 km
1997 Xantia Exclusive V6 (RHD) 45,000 miles

Andrew
Can find the S1 radio

Post by Andrew » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:37 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:I can't help too much with the car but just wanted to say hello as I grew up for a few years in St. John, New Brusnwick! Vague but fond memories of Canada.
Thanks James, a mild winter so far, such a contrast to this time last year and the ice storm followed by never ending snow storms! I haven't even lit the woodstove yet. I first lived on Grand Manan when I emigrated in 1986 and that's where I hope to return to in a year or two. :)

Andrew
Can find the S1 radio

Post by Andrew » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:40 pm

xantia_v6 wrote:The correct transmission fluid is clear when new and smells faintly of cats pee! From about 1999, the transmission dipstick was deleted, so it is not as easy to check the level or colour of the fluid (nor to refill).
So much the same as Corona beer :D It's a 1998 model year so hopefully a dipstick and I can have the fluid colour checked. Thanks. that is really good to know and I would assume if the fluid has never been changed it will appear murky.

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:45 pm

Member on her Jan-Hendrick lives in Japan and has the same car model, so I'm sure will assist you.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White