New Member in Canada interested in XM from Japan :)

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
xantia_v6
XM Guru

Re: New Member in Canada interested in XM from Japan :)

Post by xantia_v6 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:48 pm

Andrew wrote:It's changed to this: blob:https%3A//mail.google.com/2ff2b89b-17e9-4b07-84cb-79a17203449c
I don't think that is a correctly formatted public URL. It looks like something that is only available internal to your browser.
1999 XM Exclusive V6 24V ES9 Manual (LHD) 105,000 km
1997 Xantia Exclusive V6 (RHD) 45,000 miles

Jan-hendrik
XM Guru

Post by Jan-hendrik » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:10 pm

Dieselman wrote:Looking for some parts are you Jan...? car park accessories, stylee... :D
Not looking for parts at all :?

With a little help of google I estimate the vehicle is in the Toronto area.

I myself discovered my current XM 9 years ago in Chiba, 860 km from Hiroshima. It had done only 36000 km. I hopped on a train, had a look and bought it on the spot. The owner of the dealer drove it all the way down to Hiroshima himself a few days later, registered it and gave me the keys.

Andrew can ask me himself and I would not mind making a few calls here in Japan, but one must know where to start. There are more than 85 official Citroen dealerships in Japan. And don't forget the importer and dealers may be very reluctant to cooperate because of privacy rules.
2000 XM 3.0 V6 24v Exclusive Auto Vert Vega - 86k km LHD RP8569

Andrew
Can find the S1 radio

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:12 pm

xantia_v6 wrote:
Andrew wrote:It's changed to this: blob:https%3A//mail.google.com/2ff2b89b-17e9-4b07-84cb-79a17203449c
I don't think that is a correctly formatted public URL. It looks like something that is only available internal to your browser.
Sorry, I've uploaded via dropbox so hopefully this link is accessible: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/G ... directlink Also tried to add as an attachment.
'98 XM 24V Transmission Fluid colour at 97000 Kms.jpg
I've zoomed in and it may actually be a very light tan/brown rather than pink?

Thanks,
Andrew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:18 pm

I think I can see the silhouette of Andre Citroen standing at the base if the Ifle Tower in an impressionist style, I think it's a sign, buy the car, having said that it looks like the tower is falling and Andre is stooped over, possibly crying..........

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

xantia_v6
XM Guru

Post by xantia_v6 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:28 pm

Subjectively, it does look a bit pink, but not red enough to be pure dextron. I would guess that it has been filled once (or maybe just topped up) with dextron, which would leave about 60% of the correct fluid.

Old fluid usually looks grey due to suspended particles.

I would not be put off by this alone, but I would be cautious about checking the operation of the transmission, particularly that the upshifts are near perfect, with no flaring or jerking. I had a Xantia V6 with the same transmission that was full of dextron when I bought it, and the auto-adaptive software could never get the gear changes smooth, sometimes they were much too soft, and sometimes too harsh. In that car, flushing and refilling with the correct fluid did not help much, but I suspect that it had been flushed and filled with dextron in an attempt to get it changing correctly, the real culprit was probably a blocked filter.

Andrew
Can find the S1 radio

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:31 pm

Jan-hendrik wrote:
Dieselman wrote:Looking for some parts are you Jan...? car park accessories, stylee... :D
With a little help of google I estimate the vehicle is in the Toronto area.

Andrew can ask me himself and I would not mind making a few calls here in Japan, but one must know where to start. There are more than 85 official Citroen dealerships in Japan. And don't forget the importer and dealers may be very reluctant to cooperate because of privacy rules.
Thank you Jan-hendrik, I tried sending a pm but can't seem to get out of the outbox :D
Yes my XM is in Toronto :) it was shipped in November last year from Tokyo via Livingston Transportation International.

Thanks,
Andrew

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:36 pm

I would think the special fluid is only special because of its long life and high operating temp properties, if the viscosity is correct and it is synthetic like dex 3 then it should be all good, just with shorter service intervals over the original spec fluid.

A lot of American tranny shops seem not to get too excited over fluid spec from what I've heard, it is after all just a hydraulic oil with friction modifiers and anti foaming agents like most.

I'm no professional though, seeek expert advise from ZF first.

PM stay in the outbox until read by the recipient

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

Jan-hendrik
XM Guru

Post by Jan-hendrik » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:44 pm

PM stay in the outbox until read by the recipient
I am not receiving notifications from the forum anymore. Can't figure it out.
2000 XM 3.0 V6 24v Exclusive Auto Vert Vega - 86k km LHD RP8569

Andrew
Can find the S1 radio

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:46 pm

Thanks Dean and xantia_v6

At least it looks like clean ATF. I will check for smooth shifting and if all seems good I will do a fluid change once I've driven it back 1500 Kms. :)

xantia_v6
XM Guru

Post by xantia_v6 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:56 am

One reason that the correct fluid is very important in these transmissions is that the lock-up torque converter does not completely lock while cruising, and the ECU controls the pressure to give about 5% slip in the TC. If a fluid with the wrong viscosity or friction is used, then the ECU can't control the slip properly, and there is a good chance of wearing out the lock-up clutch, which on these transmissions has the compound effect of prematurely clogging the oil filter, leading to catastrophic failure.