New XM owner

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
Mike_NI
Can find the S1 radio

New XM owner

Post by Mike_NI » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:43 pm

Hello all, I bought Jonathan_dyane's incredibly cheap XM. Spotted it on autoshite while looking for a 90's car to tow my 90's caravan. Always fancied an XM and at the price he wanted for his couldn't turn down the opportunity.

I live in Belfast, so it was a flight over to Liverpool and back home on the boat. It was a fairly anxious journey as it's got a bit of a coolant leak but in the end the low level light never appeared. I topped it up before I left, once more before going down the kingsway tunnel and again before disembarking. It only needed about a litre in total.

Anyway, some pics. Here it is on the top deck

Waiting to disembark. LOVE the interior, especially that steering wheel.
This was MEGA steep. Fine on the way down but a bit scary on the way up given I hadn't used the handbrake before and had no idea what it was like
Before hitting the motorway a quick coolant check, hadn't used any between the boat and here
Crap arty shot outside a local shop
And finally the new view from my kitchen door - the wheel trims were a genuine selling point for me!

My plans for the car in the short term are to sort the coolant leak out, tidy the lacquer peel and give the paintwork a good claying / Polish.
The hydraulic pump is rattling on a couple of cylinders but Jonathan kindly included a spare with a leaking input shaft so I'll have a go at rebuilding one or both.

Other than that I plan on getting some miles on and slowly working through whatever wee jobs I can in an attempt to freshen it up a bit - it won't be a daily driver for me so I'll be able to take it off the road for periods to do bits and pieces.

Quick list of immediate niggles:

1) the top of the ride height switch has snapped off, making it fiddly to use. I'll have a go at gluing it back together unless I can find a cheap replacement.

2) the water leak. Jonathan seems sure it's one of the metal coolant hoses at the back of the block and I'd be inclined to agree. This will be easy to rectify although requires much dismantling. I'll go over the rest of the coolant system at the same time. I've a new valeo radiator to fit, not that it needs it but it was reduced on amazon to £12!

3) the lacquer peel. I'm just going to flat this back and re-lacquer, this approach has worked for me before

4) the hydraulic pump needs done as the power steering is intermittent.

5) bodywork is quite solid but needs a good claying and Polish.

6) interior is all there, I've a mate who works wonders with a VAX so the seats are coming out and everything is getting steam cleaned. It's not that it needs it but my mate insists on going over any cars I buy and it does fairly bring the carpets etc back up.

You should check amazon out, see my haul:

I think after the job Jonathan done bringing it back after the crash the poor XM deserves to be kept going!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

raynoon
Could do a 2.1 headgasket
Orga / RP numbers: 6043

Re: New XM owner

Post by raynoon » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:01 pm

Hi Mike, welcome along, great to see Jonathan's XM has found another enthusiastic owner!
1993 Citroen XM 2.1 turboSD auto
1995 Citroen XM 2.1TD Auto EXCLUSIVE

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:12 pm

Hi Mike, Welcome!

Johnathan had all the panels from me for the car... I can also supply the coolant pipe that we think is leaking, Theres about three 2.1 TD engines here complete! LOL

I could also supply a HP pump or two...

Im Nr Holyhead, obviously the 2nd Ireland to Wales crossing...

I can sort a pipe this week possibly for you. We think its the one that goes around the back of the block from behind the cylinder head outlet where the Wax Stat is..
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Mike_NI
Can find the S1 radio

Post by Mike_NI » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:18 pm

citroenxm wrote:Hi Mike, Welcome!

Johnathan had all the panels from me for the car... I can also supply the coolant pipe that we think is leaking, Theres about three 2.1 TD engines here complete! LOL

I could also supply a HP pump or two...

Im Nr Holyhead, obviously the 2nd Ireland to Wales crossing...

I can sort a pipe this week possibly for you. We think its the one that goes around the back of the block from behind the cylinder head outlet where the Wax Stat is..
That would be amazing! I'll probably not get a chance to make a start till mid week so there's no massive rush but if you have one available that would be great

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:03 pm

The leaky pipe may be noting mre than the O ring where it pushes into the water pump.

As far as the noisy hydraulic pump and intermittant steering, firstly check the drive belt is serviceable and tight, then check the suction pipe is tight on the spigots. Try twisting the pipe, if it twists it is loose. Air being drawn into the oil makes the hydraulics intermittant and makes the pump rattle.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:23 pm

Im sure in Jonathan s blog Will he said it was half way along the pipe just where it goes round the back of the block...
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

jonathan_dyane
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by jonathan_dyane » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:54 pm

I'm glad to see you made it over here :)
Jonathan.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate
1979 Citroen GS 1220 Club Estate
1999 Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer
1991 Kawasaki GT-550
1986 MZ ETZ 250