My rescued XM needs re-rescuing.

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
renault760
Knows how to use the parking brake

My rescued XM needs re-rescuing.

Post by renault760 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:15 pm

Hi everyone. I think that I should have been here a long time ago.

I live up in Co Durham and I'm a bit of a Citroen fan. I have a C15, (don't laugh!), a CX and a pair of Xms. Unfortunately, the only one that is on the road, (just), is the C15.

My 1st Xm arived some time around the early 2000s. It is a 89 2.0. I gave a bit of cash and a Lada Riva estate, (that didn't have a reverse gear.) It needed a brake valve, which I fitted myself, and a new clutch, which a local garage did for about £120. Pretty good, considering some of the quotes I'd had and even one garage telling me that it was not “economically viable”.

I then enjoyed it for maybe a year before it got laid up. Can't quite remember why, probably just a lack of cash as I was only working part time then and had the use of a company van. It is stored in a garage and a few years ago during one of the start ups it sprang a major hydraulic leak. It's still in the garage.

The real subject of this post is my 2nd XM. Round about 2006ish I called into a local scrappy to see if he had any Xms in. Turret tops were what I was looking for, (and they were probably the reason No 1 was laid up.) He pointed to a silver one just in.

Cutting a long story short, I looked around it and couldn't see why it was in. It was a 95, 2.1 with virtually unmarked body work and interior. Engine looked clean as a whistle, turret tops perfect. Thinking that the engine must be knackered I went back to the office to check.

No, I was told, heater matrix. Heater matrix? Blimey, that must be a big job then. Now, on the passenger seat I had noticed part of an old reg doc. I went back and made a note of the address, which was only 3 miles from where I lived. I went around that night and got to speak to the last owner who confirmed that he'd only bought it as temp run around and when the heater matrix went he simply scrapped it.

I got some quotes for a heater matrix and it didn't seem that much of a job and I couldn't bear the thought of it getting all stripped apart and cannibalised for bits so I bought it. I had to take a spare wheel with me as it was missing a wheel but after putting some diesel in it started right up and I drove it the short distance home. And that's the only time I've really driven it.

Now, on that short journey it did feel as if the suspension wasn't quite right and I think that there is something wrong with the rear height corrector.

Anyway, got it home and it too got “laid up”, parked up on blocks ready for the inevitable hydraulic leak.

Fast forward to the present. It is still parked up on blocks. It has been moved occasionally and I would regularly start it. Last year during one of the start ups it did indeed “spring a leak”, (about half way along the passenger side.)

Now, here is the crux of this ramble. I need to do something with it soon because it is blocking access to my Renault, (remember me saying how much of a Citroen fan I was.) I have a pretty early, British, and therefore rare, 1949 Renault 760 which I really do want to start restoring.

So I need to move the XM. Now, after standing for so long it is going to need some work. I was rather depressed last year when the front bumper seemingly simply fell off. Whether that is a sign of serious trouble or not I don't know.

After it sprung it's leak I stopped starting it because I didn't think it was a good idea with a major leak. However, around June time last year I thought that I would put a good battery on it and at least see if it would turn it over. To my immense relief it did. I cranked it a few times and stopped. Then did it again, and then a 3rd time until the oil light went out.

Of course I couldn't resist temptation. I punched the code into the keypad, which I was convinced wouldn't be working, and it turned green. Blimey! Turned the key and 3rd or 4th spin it almost fired. Tried again and it burst into life and ran beautifully. I've always thought that it was good engine. I didn't give it long enough to pressurise the hydraulics though and turned it off.

Now, I'm thinking of 2 options.

First one, does anyone know of any garages in the north of England that know XMs and would be likely to take it on to get it sorted and recommissioned?

Failing that, I might well be prepared to give it away to someone, providing that they can convince me that they would restore it and not break it, (unless it turns out to be beyond repair, which would surprise me.) Having rescued it once from a scrappy I'd hate to see it get broken now.

I'd really love to get it on the road, have a tow bar fitted and then it could tow my little Renault around. Anyone know of anywhere? Let me decide if it is too far away.

Cheers, LG.

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Re: My rescued XM needs re-rescuing.

Post by xmexclusive » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:34 pm

Try Malcolm at Savoy Garage over in Hapton near Burnley.

John

renault760

Post by renault760 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:53 pm

Hi and thanks for the quick reply John. That's not too far away. Burnley/Blackburn were regular areas for my work. I have actually worked at Hapton station in the past. I will give them a ring unless someone suggests somewhere a lot closer.

Cheers, LG.

renault760

Post by renault760 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:13 am

I've just spent the last hour reading the story of CEO, (Hi Ray if you see this.) Next half fine day I'm gong to steal myself and venture under the car, (NTOC) to see if I can get an idea of how bad things are.

LG.

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:02 am

Hi LG.. It was ME that did CEOs work!! And work it was to! Ive also just converted a V6 24v Auto XM to Manual, and restored another V6 24v Manual XM too...

I almost said send it over to me, but looks like Ive been beaten to it... lol..
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:33 am

Hi LG

I replied on the basis that you asked about garages reasonably close to you.
Try Paul (Citroenxm) first if he is willing to consider taking the work on.

John

renault760

Post by renault760 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:09 am

Hi John and thanks again. Just PMd Paul. I need to get underneath, have a bit of a poke and maybe take some pics. If I manage that I'll put them up in the members car thread, which is probably the correct place.

Cheers, LG.

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:17 am

I ran 2.1 estates for 15 years or more, brilliant cars, I would consider it well worth restoring. The thing that eventually put an end to my XM ownership was rust, if yours is OK I would do it.

I too can recommend Malcolm, very knowledgeable on XM's

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:17 pm

Repairing pipes is pretty easy, as the rear subframe can be dropped down readily and gives full access.
The only awkward bit is obtaining a Citroen flare tool for swaging a flare onto the existing pipe while still fitted to the car.

If a member could get in touch with Chris or Ray Andrews, via the Citroen Car Club, you would probably be sorted on that front. They happen to be in your locality.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

raynoon
Could do a 2.1 headgasket
Orga / RP numbers: 6043