Hello!

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
MTXM
Citroen God!

Re: Hello!

Post by MTXM » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:25 pm

The Gold XM appears to have been a Citroen UK car (reg logo and area code) and like Peter's must have sat around for a good long while before registration. With regards, Matthew T.
1989 V6 Exclusive (Poland car) - Now living in a local Motor Museum!
1990 V6sei auto (grey auto)
1990 V6sei manual (gold car)
1990 V6.24 Pallas (Germany car)
1990 V6.24v (Scotland car)
Other previous XM sold and broken too many to mention!

Pibbow
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by Pibbow » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:05 pm

MTXM wrote:The Gold XM appears to have been a Citroen UK car (reg logo and area code) and like Peter's must have sat around for a good long while before registration. With regards, Matthew T.
Well guys I've picked up a new battery and the correct 666 mm toothed belt for the hydraulic pump.... Just need time to put them on!

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

MTXM
Citroen God!

Post by MTXM » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:12 pm

That is great news about the parts Peter and I am sorry about the slightly 'off-topic' posts above!! Regards, Matthew T.

Pibbow

Post by Pibbow » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:53 pm

Good evening gents

Right I have had a look at the tension adjuster and there is no locking nut on it anywhere, is this correct and what size allen key fits the adjuster head?? sorry for novice questions. I'll post a couple of pictures from my phone in a min as I cant transfer them to the PC. It looks like I had a belt that was a bit too long as the allen head is very near the bulkhead!! Not much room to get a key in the head!

Pibbow

Post by Pibbow » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:58 pm

Pibbow wrote:Good evening gents

Right I have had a look at the tension adjuster and there is no locking nut on it anywhere, is this correct and what size allen key fits the adjuster head?? sorry for novice questions. I'll post a couple of pictures from my phone in a min as I cant transfer them to the PC. It looks like I had a belt that was a bit too long as the allen head is very near the bulkhead!! Not much room to get a key in the head!
Here you goImageImageImage

JK99

Post by JK99 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:28 pm

Peter wrote:
"Well b##ger me if she did not start on the 2nd turn of the key!"
Thanks for the Laugh Out Loud moment, Peter. These Xm's just refuse to lie down and die!!!

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:34 pm

Pete

I think the Allen bolt is 8mm and is the correct one, 1/4 turn at a time I'm afraid.
If you look at the pump from the driver's side of the pump you can see the two 13mm bolts, one of them is fixed to the other side of that block that the Allen bolt is threaded through seen below circled in yellow.
ImageV6 Hydro pump mounting bolts by Deanxm, on Flickr
slacken but do not remove these bolts, then unscrew the allen bolt and push the back of the pump down, fit the new belt then do the allen bolt up until the belt is guitar string tight, do up the two 13mm mounting bolts and then undo the allen bolt half a turn so it is not straining against the lug on the rear rocker cover.

Start the car and bath in glory (optional)

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

Pibbow

Post by Pibbow » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:58 pm

Dean wrote:Pete

I think the Allen bolt is 8mm and is the correct one, 1/4 turn at a time I'm afraid.
If you look at the pump from the driver's side of the pump you can see the two 13mm bolts, one of them is fixed to the other side of that block that the Allen bolt is threaded through seen below circled in yellow.
ImageV6 Hydro pump mounting bolts by Deanxm, on Flickr
slacken but do not remove these bolts, then unscrew the allen bolt and push the back of the pump down, fit the new belt then do the allen bolt up until the belt is guitar string tight, do up the two 13mm mounting bolts and then undo the allen bolt half a turn so it is not straining against the lug on the rear rocker cover.

Start the car and bath in glory (optional)

D
Mate, you make it sound so simple. I think I'll need my six year old to get at the allen nut! I put the battery on tonight and bingo every button lights up when activated apart from the clarion head unit. The back lights round the buttons light up but the screen and radio stay off. Still a minor thing at this stage. Oh and if anyone has a gear knob going spare mine crumbled in my hand tonight, picture to follow in the morning.
If she rises once I get the belt on it will be rather emotional.

MTXM
Citroen God!

Post by MTXM » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:08 pm

As suggested by Dean, access to the adjustment screw is a pain and needs to be in short bites! From the photos I attach, you need to firstly loosen the two 13mm nuts (1 and 2) and the lower nut (2) behind the engine also requires some dexterity to access. I strongly recommend securely attaching a piece of twine to the Allen key that can easily be dropped and for the lower nut you will need a ratchet spanner or a socket with a least one extension and ideally also a knuckle piece. In your case I would be inclined to remove and thoroughly clean and lubricate the adjustment screw (3), which is most easily done by fully loosening the lower 13mm nut and releasing and lifting away with the spindle, although be careful not to drop anything! With regards, Matthew T.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pibbow

Post by Pibbow » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:13 pm

MTXM wrote:As suggested by Dean, access to the adjustment screw is a pain and needs to be in short bites! From the photos I attach, you need to firstly loosen the two 13mm nuts (1 and 2) and the lower nut (2) behind the engine also requires some dexterity to access. I strongly recommend securely attaching a piece of twine to the Allen key that can easily be dropped and for the lower nut you will need a ratchet spanner or a socket with a least one extension and ideally also a knuckle piece. In your case I would be inclined to remove and thoroughly clean and lubricate the adjustment screw (3), which is most easily done by fully loosening the lower 13mm nut and releasing and lifting away with the spindle, although be careful not to drop anything! With regards, Matthew T.
Thank you both. I'll come back to you when I have no skin left on my knuckles [emoji85]