New Member Looking for an Xm

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
basingbob
XM newbie

New Member Looking for an Xm

Post by basingbob » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:09 am

Hi i'm Bob from North Hampshire have been looking around for an Xm for the last couple of weeks [now i have got a few pennies saved up !!!], Will want to use daily and also tow a Cheltenham Caravan that i have restored and now want to take out over the odd weekends [if we get some decent weather] just a couple of questions i want a Td [2.1 or 2.5 ] as the say on the telly what do the panel think ! I also prefer the looks and interior of the Early cars [Mk1] although looking at E-bay there is a 96 Red Manual Vsx 122.000 item 160380474313 not a mention on the forums, have contacted the seller the main thing that worries me is "every now and then the ABS light comes on and then goes off again" is this a common/expensive fault also shows no pictures of the rear and it looks like the bumper is damaged from the side shot. Any advice on your cars would be very helpful,

Many Thanks
Bob

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Re: New Member Looking for an Xm

Post by xmexclusive » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:48 pm

Hi Bob

2.5TD's were only made as Mk2's so if you want the earlier interior then it has to be a 2.1TD.
ABS faults are a common nuisance on XM's.
The Bendix ABS fitted to Mk1's and the first years worth of Mk2's seems particularly prone to faults.
Can usually be fixed cheaply if you DIY. Gets expensive if you pay a garage for the work and parts.
I am watching the Derby car as I do with most ebay 2.5 XM's. Surprised there has been no bid.
There is plenty on here about what to look for when viewing an XM as a potential purchase.
Buying unseen is risky particularly if it is intended to use the car straight away.
It is important to remember that the sellers description is usually from someone who has decided to give up on that car.
There are many signs in adverts to help you. Limited description may be lack of interest or it might be deliberate.
Unrepaired faults are indicative of a general attitude to maintenance.
If you want to look over a 2.5 car and estate and talk about what goes wrong with them and what to look for then send me a PM.
Located just SouthWest of you in Winchester.

John

bobhalliday
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by bobhalliday » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
John is giving good advice about best to look over the car you want to buy. If it is only the ABS there are quite a few posts here and in the old forum you will be shown how to access if required, I myself have a 1996 2.1 TD with a bit more milage on it and have had some bother with the ABS but it is usually sortable cheapish if you can get 2nd hand parts, but your main question here should be the timing belt. Find out when that was done, and Clutch, how is that performing. I'm not sure about the belt on the 2.5 but the engine has to come out to do the clutch.
Bob.
1996 Admiral Blue XM from New RP6612 N***YBL
1992 Green XM estate as stand-by. RP5623
We are all Falkirk 'Bairns'

I thought I saw light at the end of the tunnel, but it's an express train coming this way!!!!
--

Gone, but never forgotten.

basingbob
XM newbie

Post by basingbob » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:25 pm

Many Thanks for the replies have already had a look at 2 Xm's Both Estate 2.1s[yes i know i didn't specify estate but to be honest both have many plus points] the green Mk1 i was just beat to[very nice car] owner was a pleasure to visit/chat to, so very jealous of the so & so who just beat me to it, the Blue mk2 needs money spent on it 3 new tyres + rear doesn't sit right [belive those bushes/arms are a pig] plus several other little things, also think the reserve which has got to be near the b-i-n price would be too high considering the work involved, My Dad had a Mk1 2.1 auto in white[L reg- will try and find out more to see if its still about] so have driven them although it was over 10 years ago, the mk1/mk2 thing is just a personal preference i would not rule out a good car just on that i would prefer a 2.1 have heard so many things about the 2.5 as you pointed out about the clutch, the Derby Car looks good but cant get up to visit before this weekend so hoping sombody may have had a look etc etc, just heard back that the belt was changed at 98k, still the lack of pictures showing the back end is a worry 1 side picture looks like the rear bumper is badly damaged

Many Thanks
Bob

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:53 pm

Hi Bob

Welcome to the club. Whatever XM you buy it is likely to need attention, I prefer to buy them cheap and then do the necessary repairs. There have been several low mileage Mk 2.1's for sale lately but it seems that the prices are going up, not before time I might say :D They are the best car in the world as far as I am concerned with unrivaled comfort and space and fuel consumption with the 2.1 manual, the fact that you can repair them youself is a real bonus. If you have to pay somene to do the work its likely to be expensive, but nothing like as much as a modern car. The rear trailing arms are time consuming but not all that difficult, there are far more difficult jobs - but they are all do able.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

citroenmad
Citrobics expert

Post by citroenmad » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:51 pm

I agree with Peter.N. I had been wondering what he wanted 2.1TD manuals for every time, what about the 2.5 i thought. However now we have one i can see where he is coming from, fantastic cars and if you get the manual your almost guaranteed reliability! Estates are just huge, what a fantastic thing, they are quite a bit bigger in the boot than the C5 estates too.

I have seen one or two lower milage Xm diesels recently, so they are about, but prices are increasing, and you do have to pay for a good one. Which im very pleased about, its about time these great cars were worth more, they too easily get scrapped as they are worth so little.

Chris.
Chris.
64 C1 Feel 5 Door
S2 Xantia Exclusive 2.0HDi 110 Estate - Mauritius Blue
S1 Xantia 2.0TCT Activa - Silver
77 Ami 8 Saloon
04 Rover 75

CCC Xantia Files Columnist.

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:44 pm

Hi Bob,
Welcome

Theres 3 different fuel systems on the 2.1 td engine too look out for aswell..

Early cars from 1991 H reg to around 1991 J reg used Lucas Mechanical with manual gearbox ONLY.. then from early 1991 (MArch) the Auto box became an option and a switch to Bosch Mechancial Injection... Unfortunally though, as the XM was a large car, auto was a VERY common option, almost being a standard thing.. then Bosch mechanical stayed on till around 1997 ISH, were they switched to Lucas EPIC Semi Electronic fuel system, which if you read about has caused a few owners head aches, and they have converted their cars back to Bosch Mechanical..

However, a Bosch pump can cause problems, mainly cold start advance system can play up, most noticable when you start from cold, the car will smoke plumes of smoke for a moment or two untill its warmed slightly... The better Bosch Pump on the Xantias have been fitted by owners with a bit of adjustment...

Despite the Bosch problem, the Bosch System is the longest lived and if respected lasts VERY well..

S1 and S2 cars are a matter of perference... A S1.5 (1992 to 1994) seem to be the best to get and have the least problems with Hard Syspension issues, of course you also get the best Dash, and the Rear spoiler.. (S1.5 cars useualy recognised by the TWIN Spoke steering wheel) Bendix ABS fitted to these cars, as John says can be problematic.. S1.5 cars seem to be BETTER in the Rust department, were S2 cars (Ill probably get shot now) seem tobe worse off..

Cills ARE a common fault but this is due to Abuse of the rear jacking points, just forward of the rear wheel arch, if they are bent then check hard the rears of the cills, as water gets in between the jacking point and the inner cill, then leading to ROT inside OUTWARDS, hence it being too late to detect when its gone too far.. Patching is cheapest, cills ARE VERY Expensive!

The electrical gremlins are mainly an issue with FIRST cars, 1989 to around 1992, were the earths were plugged in on the inside of the front wings, at around 1993 K ONWARDS Citroen bolted the earths on, this improoving the Electrics... both of my S1,5 cars with bolted earths have been great!

Clutches are an engine out job as said, Auto's are OK if they drive ok, and ALL gearchanges are smooth, and you decide on the car, get a Transmission Fluid change ASAP!! These on Autos are VERY important!!

Regards
Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

citroenmad
Citrobics expert

Post by citroenmad » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:26 pm

At one point automatic boxes were standard fit on some model year Xms, manual was an option, according to the brochures.

It would appear most 2.1TDs are automatics and most people wanting manaul went for the 2.5TD, possibly.

Auto gear oil changes are very improtant, if you get an auto you must keep up with regual gearbox oil changes to prolong the gear boxes life.

Peter.Ns Xms seem to last forever with the original clutch, some up to 275K, Peter? Though this depends entirely on if its previous owner has been a clutch abuser or has treated it with respect.
Chris.
64 C1 Feel 5 Door
S2 Xantia Exclusive 2.0HDi 110 Estate - Mauritius Blue
S1 Xantia 2.0TCT Activa - Silver
77 Ami 8 Saloon
04 Rover 75

CCC Xantia Files Columnist.

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:52 pm

That's true, it depends how they have been driven of course but the last one I sold had done 292k on its original clutch and the one my wife recently wrote off has done nearly 200k. Incidently it is possible to change the 2.1 clutch with the engine in situ - but its nearly as much work as a head gasket. :x

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

savoy
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by savoy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:59 pm

Hello Bob
got a XM 2.1 td auto estate for sale r reg 1998 in green.
If not fixed up please goto www.savoygarage.co.uk for pictures and tel numbers.
regards malcolm
savoy.