Hopefully returning to XM ownership again

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
DownUnderXM
Knows how to use the parking brake
Orga / RP numbers: RP 8603
2000 ES9J V6, 4HP20 auto, Gris Quartz hatchback

Re: Hopefully returning to XM ownership again

Post by DownUnderXM » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:27 pm

Congratulations - surely it wouldn't really have been crushed! Were there any large repairs in that £20,000, or just lots of maintenance? I see it's an auto, so not quite what you wanted... Hopefully there will be no nasty surprises, and it sails through the MOT.

It is the same colour as my 2000 V6 Exclusive, but mine has different wheels, and full leather seats. Mine has done 175,000km, but the auto transmission was rebuilt at 100,000km. Currently OK, but the thought that it might need another transmission rebuild before too long is certainly alarming! Hopefully the cooler conditions where you live equals a much longer transmission life.

Cheers
Alec

Ferdinand
Can find the S1 radio

Post by Ferdinand » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:19 am

DownUnderXM wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:27 pm
Congratulations - surely it wouldn't really have been crushed! Were there any large repairs in that £20,000, or just lots of maintenance?
Yup, he was going to call to crusher tomorrow - here, we get about 250 £ for a used car (scrap value) so I offered a bit more to ensure, that He would’nt turn down the offer.
The problem her in DK is that roadtax is about 1K £ and the same for insurance, so only very few people drive these now as newer cars are a LOT cheaper.

The wheel are for winter driving. Going to collect the original Monte Carlo alloys at the garage in the following week.

All sort of things have been fixed - simply because the previous owner drove very little in the last 10 years. Only 2700 km since last MOT in 2018 for instance 😱

Even though I’ve seen ridiciously large bills from a garage - the ones on tis cars are beyond any reasonable amounts: 2 K £ for a A/C compressor. 250 £ for having wheels changed..... imagine paying that twice a years since 1998 😱😱😱

Cambelt needs changing. A/C doesn’t work... it needs some bodywork but nothing major, mostly a fresh coat of paint here and there... for the price paid it’s in very good condition - no warning lights, ABS works...

So all in all, I’m extremely pleased.
Current cars:
Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE
BMW Z3 3.0iA Roadster
2 x Volvo V70 D5
2 x Citroën Xsara 110 HDi
Volvo 144S
Citroën C3 1.6 BlueHDi
Citroën XM 2.5 BVM Exclusive 1999
Citroën XM 3.0i V6 BVA Exclusive 1998
Citroën XM 3.0 V6 BVM Pallas

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:08 am

It looks in good condition, even the alcantara seats look good...and a genuine reason for the sale.
Silver is a good colour for a series 2 Xm.

Given you are in the frozen North, maybe the A/c isn't too important.

The reason the Hp20 gearbox fails is due to no specified Atf change point and the filter being internal, so blocks.
A wise solution would be to split the box, pull out the filter material and fit an external filter in the cooler pipe.
No filter would be better than one that blocks.

That car looks a great find for very little money.
Does the tax and insurance situation change once the car is over a certain age and classed as a classic?

£500 per year to swap the wheels is certainly some pill to swallow.
Perhaps you need to setup a mobile wheel swapping business.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White