New member - barn find S1 Auto

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
citroenxm
Global Moderator

Re: New member - barn find S1 Auto

Post by citroenxm » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:35 am

Ohh yes.. They aren't too bad. The large end has a reenforced end lip that is tight over the joint.. I use a screw driver to lever it away a bit at a time. Once off yes it will slide off..
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:49 am

Double check the diameter of the small hole in your new cap against the diameter of the actual track rod.
Later XM's used a larger diameter track rod but common end fittings.
They do sometimes get swapped which can cause problems.

You may already know this but worth repeating as it saves resetting steering alignment.
Note the spanner flats on the inner end of the track rod (can be seen in your photo).
Loosen the track rod end nut then return to original position.
Mark a nut flat and the rod with a position paint or scribe mark.
Now using a spanner on those inner track rod flats unscrew the rod.
This will wind the track rod end right out of the track rod.
You can now replace that end cap.
Screw the end back onto the track rod until touching the nut, then nip the nut up tight.
Go hard with a wire brush to clean up the track rod before you start any of this work.

Citjon
Has changed a sphere or two
Orga / RP numbers: 8032

Post by Citjon » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:48 pm

Turns out the inner gaiter was shot after all. After reading several other posts /guides I decided to have a go at changing it in-situ.

I might live to regret it but I've used a non-genuine gaiter and will try the "wire in the grooves" trick to keep it in place. Fitting involved a jug of boiling water and a combination of copper pipe, grease, brute force, expletives and gaffer tape to persuade it over the spigot!! I also needed to remove the centre sphere, a large wire clip and a hydraulic pipe to provide enough clearance to get the ram off. I'd already put it up on axle stands to repair the exhaust so access underneath wasn't too bad, but getting those wires in will be interesting.

Plenty of other jobs completed and parts fitted over the last few weeks including brake hoses, radiator, spheres, tyres, engine / gearbox service etc etc. The only thing I am really struggling to find is front sidelights - I've got a reasonable offside one, but only the reflector part for the nearside. Any suggestions on where to find one?

As it was a write off I've had to apply to the DVLA for the V5, which will hopefully arrive soon. Assuming there are no major MOT issues it will then be getting taxed and back on the road with a bit of luck.
90 XM 2.0 Si manual RP4930 ETB Platinum
98 XM 2.1 VSX auto RP8032 EHJ Crimson Pearl
72 D Super 5 Black
72 DS21 efi Bleu D'Orient

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:08 pm

I just had a look in one of the junk boxes in the garage.
The only passenger one is in two bits.
Plastic cover separated from the reflector body and reflector not perfect.
Cover is the later clear plastic type but could do with a clean and polish.

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:51 am

Recovering ones with ruined silvering and lenses that have come away and are badly faded is easy.
Ideally the reflector needs re alumising, but in reality that's not going to happen.
I've used silver weatherproofing tape then glued the lens on after wet sanding.
Having made good ones from two broken ones, I keep any damaged ones.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:05 am

Citjon wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:48 pm
Turns out the inner gaiter was shot after all. After reading several other posts /guides I decided to have a go at changing it in-situ.

As it was a write off I've had to apply to the DVLA for the V5, which will hopefully arrive soon. Assuming there are no major MOT issues it will then be getting taxed and back on the road with a bit of luck.
Fitting wires or small tye-wraps to the gaiter is easy enough.
If the gaiter is the thinner, plastic type it should be Ok. The neoprene ones are rubbish.
Did you remove the complete track rod from the rack, or leave it on?

For your V5, DVLA will send you a questionnaire asking for more information.
I hope no-one has performed an undocumented engine or gearbox swap, as that will mean the dreaded Q plate.
Prev

Citjon

Post by Citjon » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:23 am

I have fitted the neoprene type, if it is no good or impossible to secure I will try and source a genuine one. It came as a set with the offside for about £10 so I haven't got much to lose, apart from my time! The track rod is still attached to the rack on the car, as I didn't see any benefit to removing it. Am I missing something that would make the job easier? Both track rod end rubbers have perished so I've bought cheap QH replacements to get through the MOT.

I sent the application off for the V5 4 or 5 weeks ago, expecting it would take a while and longer than usual. I'm 99.9% certain it is the original engine and box and would really not want to be landed with a Q plate. It still has the original Southerington of Grantham number plates front and back which I would prefer to keep! The front panel has been changed but I've got the original one and will swap the VIN plate over.
72 D Super 5 Black

Citjon

Post by Citjon » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:41 pm

Finished fitting the nearside rack gaiter today. Time will tell if it was a mistake using a non-genuine gaiter, but it seems to be OK for now. Access for fitting from above wasn't too bad having previously removed the front panel, radiator, air filter, battery box and LHM tank.

Fitting the new inner track rod boot didn't go quite as well. I'd got a cheap pattern one (with the gaiters) and it won't press into the housing. Are genuine ones still available? There are Sasic and Lemforder brands listed on eBay - are either of these any good?

It feels like I'm making progress now, although I did find a small hole in the inner wing where it meets the top of the bumper bracket. It only needs a tiny patch so might as well sort it before the MOT.

Still no sign of the V5 yet which was sent off 10th July!!

On a positive note it's good to have photos back :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
72 D Super 5 Black

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:36 am

Rust through that wheelarch closing panel is fairly common, due to the bumper outrigger being spot welded to it and years of water off the wheel.
I'm not sure if it would actually be an Mot item, as it's not the actual suspension or inner wing, but it's best to weld in new steel.

Both Sasic and Lemforder make quality components and Sasic used to make Xm gaiters that were identical to the Citroen ones, but I'm not sure they are now.
I have used Sasic.

For the V5, did you fill in V765?
Give Dvla a call. If you need to have the car verified as an Xm and all original components you will need it inspected by Citroen Car Club.
Prev

Citjon

Post by Citjon » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:28 pm

Thanks for the info, I'll give Sasic a try. I also thought it was a borderline MOT item (within 30cm?) but don't want it getting any worse! The hole stops where it meets the top of the outrigger.

I've used form V62 to apply for the logbook and will try calling them if it doesn't turn up soon. I think V765 is used when a vehicle has been re-registered. This car is still on the DVLA system showing as last taxed in 2001 and V5 issued 1998 so should be OK on the original number.

Jon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
72 D Super 5 Black