A conversion...

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
misha
Citroen go-to-guy

Re: A conversion...

Post by misha » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:04 pm

Do you see what i mean?
54-xm-ssty-9-17.jpg
Take a closer look at that sill.
Yours are completely flat,without those groove lines and shapes on front and back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'91 Citroen XM 2.0 SI /130hp/ Rp5315 /mandarine red metallic /
'97 Volvo 850 2.5 20v/fully equipped/motronic 4.4/polar white wagon

xantia_v6
XM Guru

Post by xantia_v6 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:32 am

citroenxm wrote:
xantia_v6 wrote:Did you manage to get an engine ECU for manual transmission?
An engine ecu was supplied but stupidly i had no code for it. I tried with the keypad unplugged no start.. tried with code 1111 no start tried 1234 no start and 0000 too.. the auto ecu idles nicely. no miss fr9m what i can see pleanty of power. what should i be expecting useing the autos ecu?

Ive also noticed theres no oil temp guage on the clocks on this car.. where all 24v v6 xm had them..
I am aware of 3 differences between Manual and Auto ECUs:
1. The Auto ECU has fuel cut-off on overrun, but the manual doesn't. This can cause a 'shunting' sensation when cruising with just a tiny amount of throttle applied.
2. An automatic transmission has less need for engine torque between 1000 and 2000 RPM (because of the action of the torque converter), so the ECU may be detuned relative to a manual one (I don't know if that is the case with the XM, but it is common to other models). I suppose the question is whether it has as much throttle response from 1000 RPM in high gears as your 24V?
3. The ES9/4HP20 ECUs communicate with each other to provide engine torque reduction during gear shifts. It is not known if the engine ECU has any special mode to use if it does not hear from the transmission ECU.

My manual transmission ES9 XM does have an oil temperature gauge.

I am thinking of buying an eerom writer so that I can clone the code from a working ECU to one which has a lost code, I will let you know how I get on.
1999 XM Exclusive V6 24V ES9 Manual (LHD) 105,000 km
1997 Xantia Exclusive V6 (RHD) 45,000 miles

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:09 am

I have a couple of boxed factory fresh manual late V6 ECU's.
They were obtained to compare component contents with the factory fresh 2.5 ones that I have code read.
The 2.5 work progressed to the point where I have reset used ECU's to factory state.
Not taken any lids off the V6 ones yet.
I might be willing to supply one Paul for you to try in the car.
Setup codes for 2.5's are known and I would expect the V6 ones to be the same.
Someone on here used my information to reset a Bosch 2.0 ECU so there is quite a bit of common code.
If this new V6 ECU works out I would want the auto version ECU to code read, reset and compare for differences with the other new manual one.

John

MTXM
Citroen God!

Post by MTXM » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:26 am

That sill on the last picture don't look original.Does it?
I have to agree with Misha that there is something weird about the shape of the sill! Regards, Matthew T.
1989 V6 Exclusive (Poland car) - Now living in a local Motor Museum!
1990 V6sei auto (grey auto)
1990 V6sei manual (gold car)
1990 V6.24 Pallas (Germany car)
1990 V6.24v (Scotland car)
Other previous XM sold and broken too many to mention!

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:25 pm

Well.. they look fine to me.. theres no joins.. theres no patchs.. and both look good. They are the same both sides..
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:29 pm

xantia_v6 wrote:
citroenxm wrote:
xantia_v6 wrote:Did you manage to get an engine ECU for manual transmission?
An engine ecu was supplied but stupidly i had no code for it. I tried with the keypad unplugged no start.. tried with code 1111 no start tried 1234 no start and 0000 too.. the auto ecu idles nicely. no miss fr9m what i can see pleanty of power. what should i be expecting useing the autos ecu?

Ive also noticed theres no oil temp guage on the clocks on this car.. where all 24v v6 xm had them..
I am aware of 3 differences between Manual and Auto ECUs:
1. The Auto ECU has fuel cut-off on overrun, but the manual doesn't. This can cause a 'shunting' sensation when cruising with just a tiny amount of throttle applied.
2. An automatic transmission has less need for engine torque between 1000 and 2000 RPM (because of the action of the torque converter), so the ECU may be detuned relative to a manual one (I don't know if that is the case with the XM, but it is common to other models). I suppose the question is whether it has as much throttle response from 1000 RPM in high gears as your 24V?
3. The ES9/4HP20 ECUs communicate with each other to provide engine torque reduction during gear shifts. It is not known if the engine ECU has any special mode to use if it does not hear from the transmission ECU.

My manual transmission ES9 XM does have an oil temperature gauge.

I am thinking of buying an eerom writer so that I can clone the code from a working ECU to one which has a lost code, I will let you know how I get on.
I havent driven the car on the road yet.. so no idea.. however in the yard she wheel span quite easilly..
xmexclusive wrote:I have a couple of boxed factory fresh manual late V6 ECU's.
They were obtained to compare component contents with the factory fresh 2.5 ones that I have code read.
The 2.5 work progressed to the point where I have reset used ECU's to factory state.
Not taken any lids off the V6 ones yet.
I might be willing to supply one Paul for you to try in the car.
Setup codes for 2.5's are known and I would expect the V6 ones to be the same.
Someone on here used my information to reset a Bosch 2.0 ECU so there is quite a bit of common code.
If this new V6 ECU works out I would want the auto version ECU to code read, reset and compare for differences with the other new manual one.

John
Hi john

The gearbox came with a manual engine ecu.. however we didnt get a code with it and it wasnt any of the obvious.. i tried the best 0000 and 1111 and also 1234.. i also tried with the keypad disconnected..

If the ecu is resetable easilly or is more usefull swppaed for an already unlocked manual ecu id happilly do a swap so the car can be finalised and ill also send you the auto engine ecu too..
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

djg
Could do a 2.1 headgasket
Orga / RP numbers: 7261

Post by djg » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:47 pm

Kit and painted over with black?
Bye,
Gábor

1996 XM 2.5 Turbo D VSX (LHD, Bleu Mauritius)
1986 BX 19 TRI Break (LHD, Rouge Vallelunga) deceased
1996 AX 14 D (LHD, Alaska White) in family

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:22 pm

Hi Paul

I will look out the boxes from the new ECU stack.
I will PM you with the part numbers to check it is the right item before I post one.

John

misha
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by misha » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:28 pm

citroenxm wrote:Well.. they look fine to me...They are the same both sides..
Well....they are both replaced then.They certainly are NOT original.

See the photo i posted to compare.
Not a big deal....they are weak spots because of jacking points...nothing to be concerned about.
I need to replace mine before winter comes.I just want to make sure that they look close to original.
It seems that previous owner of your car didn't cared much about how they will look.
'91 Citroen XM 2.0 SI /130hp/ Rp5315 /mandarine red metallic /
'97 Volvo 850 2.5 20v/fully equipped/motronic 4.4/polar white wagon

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:25 pm

Have found the two ECU's.
They are Bosch 0 261 119; Citroen 9634861380 for MP7.0.
I have confirmed that they are the manual version and later than the ES9 J4 launch.
There is a series of four rows of code numbers in small print on the right hand side of the label.
The second row is the critical one as this gives the software version.
Launch codes were:
Manual 26FM0376 (citroen part 9625552480).
Auto 26FD0280 (citroen part 9625552580).
Source Cit workshop manual which warns that the ECU's for manual and autoboxes cannot be interchanged.
The auto ECU is programmed to receive gear change information from the autobox ECU.
A converted car using an auto ECU will most likely stay in the last gear selected for injection gear correction purposes.
It also notes that these ECU's are equipped with FLASH EPROM memory.

The ECU that I can supply is:
Manual 26FM0633 (citroen part 9634861390).

John