NTOC Unsertain future?

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
renault760
Knows how to use the parking brake

Re: NTOC Unsertain future?

Post by renault760 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:02 pm

Hiya. If they are prone to rusting then finding another good one may be tricky. On a slightly better note, I thought I'd try and free off the rear brakes today. I expected a real struggle as the brakes on an old Merc that had stood for as long were a nightmare.

Surprisingly, both on the Cit came free very easily. Let's hope the fronts are as obliging.

Is that arm that the rear wheel is attached to meant to move up and down easily?

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:36 pm

Yes while theres no pressure in the system of course... once pressurised though.. no..
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

renault760

Post by renault760 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:39 pm

OK, that's good.

LG.

renault760

Post by renault760 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:49 am

Well, tomorrow is going to be a big, eventful day.

I have mentioned how, in order to extract my Renault 760, I have to move my XM, which hasn't moved for several years. I had got the rear wheels of the XM turning but the fronts seemed pretty solid.

I am going into a drugs clinic for 2 weeks on Saturday and really need both cars moving before then. It's all, in the end, been a bit of a rush as I only had the clinic confirmed on Monday. So this week I've had to have another go at getting the front wheels turning.

I had drained out the old oil a couple of weeks ago and refilled with cheap, but at least new, yesterday. (It will be getting replaced with better before it goes back on the road.)

I then set to trying to start it. First slight disappointment was the rad drain plug leaking, which it never used to. I've never kept water in it as it would just leak into the drivers footwell from the leaking heater matrix, (the reason it ended up in the scrappy!)

Last summer I managed to start it for the for the 1st time in at least a couple of years. It fired up more easily then than it did yesterday. I put a good batt on and turned it over for 5/6 secs and stopped. Waited a while and repeated. After seeing the oil pressure light go out I entered the code, (amazed that's still working,) and tried again. Nothing. No attempt to fire at all.

Had another go and this time noticed smoke in the engine bay. A check revealed a very hot earth lead. So hot it was melting the insulation! What was going on there? All of the connections were secure.

Let it cool down and had one more go and bingo, it burst into life! A lot of black crap out of the exhaust to start with but it very quickly settled into a nice tick over with no smoke at all. The earth lead now OK.

I already had the N/S wheel off so tried to crack it off by putting the car alternatively in reverse and 1st. No joy after several attempts.

Put that wheel back on and jacked up the O/S and with the wheel still on, went through the same routine, with better luck this time as it freed off and turned. Stiff, but turning. (I have never left the H/B on, by the way.)

I thought of removing the pads from the N/S but don't really have the tools and didn't have the time. I thought that I would have another go with the wheel on but off the ground and finally got it turning. (poor clutch!) The rad drain plug had stopped dripping too by this time.

So that is all 4 wheels turning, some better than others, and bits of wood blocking up all of the suspension. It is now ready to be loaded onto a transporter. It won't roll off at the far end so I'm going to have to hope that it will drive off a car length onto it's new home.

I'm planning to use rope past through both rear towing brackets to attach to the winch to spread the load and give a nice central pull. Any other advice about loading/securing it onto the truck?

It's going to be a full day tomorrow. The plan is as follows.

Be at Darlington 0800 to pick up the "self drive" recovery truck. After the paper work and their briefing I hope to be back here by 1000 to load the XM. As that is at least in the right position I'm hoping that that will be pretty straight forward.

A 2hr steady drive to Harrogate and drop off it off, (well, drive it off.) A cup of tea and some toast and another 2hr drive back here for the Renault, (by 1600/1700 I hope).

Now, the Renault isn't in the coreect place. I will have to struggle, on my own, to pull it into the drive into a position where I can get the winch on. It is on a little, single axle trailer and I'm thinking that if I block each wheel in turn that I should be able to pivot/swivel it out. Having said that, lying in bed this morning I haven't checked if it's wheels are turning! I'd better look at those this morning. (And I'll be doing all of that on a recovering sprained ankle which is stll painful to walk on.)

Once I manage to get it on the truck it will be back to Harrogate, (by 1900/2000), and get it off the truck. I then want to try and get the Renault off the trailer on which it has been stuck for years. It definetly won't roll off so I'm thinking that I will be able to secure it to the XM and then use the trucks winch to pull the trailer out from under it. That's the plan anyway.

By which time it will be dark. Something to eat and bed and then up at 0600 to get the truck back to Darlington for 0800. Then Friday night down to to Nottingham to check into the clinic Sat morning where I can have a nice 2 week rest.

What could possibly go wrong?

LG.

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Wed May 02, 2018 12:14 pm

it all sounds like a plan....

The Xm wheels may be being braked as a result of the brake bell crank having seized. If so, full hydraulic pressure is applied to the brakes when the engine is running.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

renault760

Post by renault760 » Wed May 02, 2018 5:25 pm

HI. There shouldn't be much hydraulic pressure as it spat all of the fluid out a while ago! I wouldn't be surprised to find the brake bell crank seized though.

What I forgot to mention earlier was the fact that after clearing a load of junk out of the car I was able to sit in the back for the first time in years. Nice surprise, no signs of mice, (yet.) Not so nice surprise, signs of damp in O/S rear footwell.
LG.

renault760

Post by renault760 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:03 pm

P1150478.JPG
Well, got both of my cars moved to their new temp home. 2 cars from Durham to Harrogate, inc fuel, £165, (plus a full day for me of course!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.