New XM owner in the USA (Well, almost!)

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
guyatou
XM newbie

New XM owner in the USA (Well, almost!)

Post by guyatou » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:04 pm

I have an opportunity to buy a really nice 1992 XM from a friend here in the States. He's had it for a number of years and enjoyed it, but he says it needs the power steering rack replaced. It's leaking and causing the suspension to fall when it's parked. The rest of the system seems to be OK, it's only leaking at the power steering rack.

Am I crazy to buy this thing?

After a decent search I haven't found any new or rebuilt steering racks in stock anywhere in the English speaking world!

Here's the BaT ad the last time it sold. It can be had for substantially less than what it sold for here. Is this a wise purchase or should I run???

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-citroen-xm/

Thanks all!

-Michael
Oklahoma, USA

Stickfinger
Citrobics expert

Re: New XM owner in the USA (Well, almost!)

Post by Stickfinger » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:48 pm

Easy fix or rack rebuild, it all depends what/where the leak is from. Do you know how much LHM it is loosing ?

Does it have the self centring DIRAVI steering of a standard power rack ?

There should be spares/replacement seals available.

I cannot see it being a massive problem....shipping may cause some delays but if you are not is a mad rush...loads of instructions can be given for DIY or for you to pass onto a garage.

xantia_v6
XM Guru

Post by xantia_v6 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:14 pm

You can see the DIRAVI speed compensator thing next ot the LHM tank in the engine bay photo of the linked advert.

Being DIRAVI, the leak may be a little more challenging to repair, but it is a very nice looking car.
1999 XM Exclusive V6 24V ES9 Manual (LHD) 105,000 km
1997 Xantia Exclusive V6 (RHD) 45,000 miles

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:38 am

You probably don't need a new rack, it just needs new seals either for the Diravi section, or the internal power ram seals.
it's best to not make assumptions regarding faults, but actually investigate the cause then fix that.

Technically a leaking power steering pipe, or unit wont make the car sink. It will stop the car rising due to lack of hydraulic pressure, but once the pressure has been established and the car has risen, the safety valve will hold pressure in the main circuit if the supply fails.

Every Lhd, 3 litre petrol Series 1 Xm had Diravi steering. Finding somwhere to service/rebuild/supply shouldn't be too difficult. The same Diravi system was fitted to Cx and Sm, so look in that direction also for a servicing agent.

Member Citroenfa from california had a leaking Diravi rack recently, so may be able to offer refurbishment advice.

Do you need to be mad to buy a citroen Xm...probably, but it's good to be a bit mad. You will certainly have an individual car in the USA.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

Stickfinger
Citrobics expert

Post by Stickfinger » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:57 am

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:35 am

That's a really nice, early first series XM, build date 7th Feb 1991.

The two spoke steering wheel has been added later on, it should have the original single spoke wheel.

Tecnosir offer reconditioned Diravi racks for Xm. https://www.tecnosir.com/product/202492 ... rvotronic-

Hydraulic issues really are a non-entity on Xm, normally split rubber return unions.

I note from the b.a.t. advert..."The hydraulic fluid reservoir is said to leak with the suspension set at the lowest height."

If the reservoir is overfull it will leak on the lowest setting, any other leak is very likely to be a return pipe.

I wouldn't naturally assume the steering is leaking, it could just be spilt oil from the aforementioned spillage.

All series 1 Xm sink when switched off, they don't have the anti-sink system fitted.

That car utillises Hydractive 1 active suspension system, which is generally very reliable and moreso than the later Hydractive 2 system.

Don't let the hydraulics deter you from buying an Xm, the system gives a fantastic ride and handling and is generally reliable and easy to fix if it has an issue.
Buy the car then investigate any issues and post them up here. We will be able to guide you through to a fully working, Xm.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White