These, are the voyages of the starship Turby D.

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
captainhaddock
XM Guru

These, are the voyages of the starship Turby D.

Post by captainhaddock » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:33 pm

So, she's on the road finally! My 2.1 TD VSX automatic, built in 1996 with 107.000 miles on the (sometimes intermittent) clock. Been behaving herself so far, everything seems to be working properly.

I fixed a few minor cosmetic things. What I thought was a leaking seal underneath the engine, was only a plastic hose that had come loose from the turbo.
Bought new gas struts for the boot lid and did an awful lot of rust treating/proofing underneath.
I found the fuel tank remains wet (with fuel) although the fuel pipes on top of the tank (underneath the back seat) are totally dry.

I will give her a small service tonight and/or tomorrow and here's my first question: going to change the coolant, where do we bleed the trapped air out of the system: I found the valve on the heater hoses but was called in for dinner :) where's the other one..usually on the thermostat house or so I thought..

Haynes isn't very clear to say the least: it's not mentioned for the 2.1 TD :(

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Re: These, are the voyages of the starship Turby D.

Post by CitroJim » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:39 pm

Wow :D She looks lovely Jaap 8-) And she has my favourite wheels too ;)

2.1TD bleeding. Apart from the heater, which you've found, I believe the engine is pretty much self-bleeding as the thermostat is not in the thermostat housing on the cylinder head where you'd expect it to be - it's actually down at the end of the bottom hose behind the water pump. Shocking to get at but there to avoid any problems with air as I understand it...

I can't remember any other bleeders on my old Xantia 2.1TD. I'm sure of there are any other bleeders a 2.1TD owner will soon put us right...

I need to rust-proof mine this summer. What did you use?
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:53 pm

Thanks, that is fast!

Can't get myself back to the garage, some TV series you would not know (Dutch)

Well, I have the compressor and spray kits. I've used something that I didn't use before, a rust converter from hammerite. Black metal paint to finish and black wax oil with white wax oil in the hollow areas. Got rid of the crumbled thing around the spare wheel and had to weld the remains back together. I had to do that on Elisabeth's car as well, but for the rest that car somehow has survived the test of times better, underneath that is.

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:30 pm

Status report Captain.....star date 26 4 2013 ... starship turby D is now on the road, boldly exploring Ireland's emerald countryside! :lol:

Excellent Jaap. Loving the blog title.
"give it a quick service tonight!" :lol: .. Dedication, good for you. :lol:

I had to sort my spare wheel carrier out too last year. Got to it in the nick of time too, but it hadn't fallen apart, however it was on its way!
I need to get under the back of mine and treat the bits and bobs that need doing...which actually isn't much. Really must get some wax in the box sections too. Now the weather is improving, it's on my list.

Great to hear it is going well though. :D
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

messerschmitt owner
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by messerschmitt owner » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:53 pm

Nice wheels. Is it admiral or Mauritius blue.
Image[/url]
IMG_0865 by messerschmitt owner, on Flickr

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:12 pm

It should be Mauritius blue. But I have to say, I am somehow still not totally sure :) Robert polished it extremely well and I only waxed the other one once but I still find they are not exactly similar, those colours...

One day I will wash them both at the same time and take a picture, too cold now.
In the mean time engine oil, oil filter, auto box oil and fuel filter done. Also drained the coolant and flushed and put new coolant in. Will see if that bleeding is done right tomorrow, bled the heater matrix looks OK.
Not finished yet, will continue some tomorrow.

Both cars, the petrol and the diesel, drive superb at the moment. But very different as well. I still don't know which one I prefer driving! There are pro's and con's for the both of them.

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:22 pm

And Russ, I seem to have strange water ingress as well.

I drove the car onto ramps and slowly, very slowly but constantly, there is water leaving the sills. So I am going to drill a few holes in there both front and back. The petrol doesn't seem to have that problem. I had her on the same ramps and she lives outside where the Diesel lived inside for the winter. Don't have a clue how water can get into the sills, yet.

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:23 pm

As it's Roberts old car it is Mauritius blue.

There is a bleed point just at the back of the rocker cover by the heater hoses. It is to bleed the water pump and thermostat.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:37 pm

Thanks Dieselman, I'll have a look tomorrow. Will google what a rocker cover is :)

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:09 pm

It is Mauritius blue Jaap. My favourite XM colour and my favourite XM wheels!

Yes, Will has mentioned the other bleed point. Look for the tyre valve cap on the end of a rubber hose on top left corner of the engine when looking in from the front.

The 2.0 16V will be much sharper than the 2.1. But its nice to have 2 different cars to drive!

1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic