Dad's S1 24v has been given a new lease of life...

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
David Hallworth
Citrobics expert

Dad's S1 24v has been given a new lease of life...

Post by David Hallworth » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:33 pm

Following on from Paul's thread here...

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7356" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well, it's the first weekend since the XM has been home. As the C6 and the Range Rover both passed their MOT's without any advisories yesterday morning I thought I'd give the XM some attention as I'd told Paul not to bother with the trivial things that I could sort as it had already taken more of his time then I ever thought it would.

First up was the two front spheres and the front centre. The front spheres walked off by hand and were a doddle to change, the front centre was a different story though. Paul had warned me that this one was TIGHT as when he'd tried to remove it on the car it was bending the bracket that it's mounted to. With this in mind I attempted to undo the two 3.5mm and two 17mm pipes going into it, to my amazement these came undone without any problems. With the regulator strapped tightly in a vice I got a hammer and cold steel chisel and after a few minutes of abuse the old sphere became loose and was changed.

After re-assembly the front of the car is totally transformed, it's gone from having virtually no movement whatsoever to floating like an XM should.

http://vid15.photobucket.com/albums/a37 ... ltz24f.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After these were done I turned my attention to the speedo. As Paul couldn't drive the car until he was going to the MOT we had no idea that the speedo didn't work and unfortunately he didn't have time to sort it as he was leaving to meet me with the car the next day. We both used a sat nav so we knew what speed we were doing on the way home. The trip computer on this car never worked when dad had the car the first time around so I changed the speed sensor in the gearbox and checked the lower cable, this was ok. I then took the dials out of the car and found that where the cable goes into the back of the speedo was totally sheered. Thankfully I had one to replace it with so I set about doing that this morning.

I tied a Nylon fish tape to the end of the cable where the dials sit...

I also tied a bit of rope to the end under the bonnet as it gave me something to pull again as the cable is quite awkward to get to.

This came out without any hassle at all so I tied the new cable to the fish tape and pulled it back the way it had come out. This was a little bit fiddly as I had to feed it from under the bonnet and pull the fish tape at the same time. It did however come right through in one go and it was so easy to do. Fitting that cable without doing that I'd imagine is a right bugger of a job!

You can see the broken one beside the new one here...

New one threaded through poking out of the hole in the dash...

The third and final job for this morning was the spare wheel carrier. The bolt in the carrier sheered when Paul tried to take it out. I told him not to worry about it and that I'd sort it when the car came home. He did the work he needed under the car and put the spare wheel, carrier and tool kit in the boot when I picked the car up. Thankfully where the bolt had sheered there was enough left to get a pair of mol grips onto it. It was stuck solid! Thankfully though, some heat from the blowtorch and it freed up nicely allowing me to unscrew it without having to drill it out and tap the whole again. The carrier is now back in place with a new bolt holding it in. I also put a new bolt and hanger through the boot floor as that was fairly stiff and shitty looking. I've covered the long bolt in copper slip so hopefully that should prevent it seizing for a while. I tend to drop these down on the other two cars and lubricate them once a year to keep them from seizing so I'll start doing it to this one as well :)

All in, she's riding and driving great now apart from the throttle being a bit stiff. It does appear to be freeing off with use though which is good. The bodywork could do with a bit of tidying but if she proves herself to be mechanically reliable then I'll get some bodywork straightened out and resprayed next year. Now this 24v has had some life saving surgery she's not going to be let go of again :)

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Re: Dad's S1 24v has been given a new lease of life...

Post by citroenxm » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:00 pm

Very nice finishing touches there...

Well deserves the extra work and time
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:46 pm

Quite agree. This cars future is safe and secure. It must be delighted!
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:13 pm

The question now..is .. What do i do with the car that donated the engine to this car.... Hmmmmm descisions..

Others

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:14 pm

HDI it. :D
Russ

Also

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:16 pm

russ92xmsed wrote:HDI it. :D
Hmmm i have. Hdi manual setup spare too... Need to do the auto one first..

Or perhaps i should scouer german ebay and find another prv 24v engine..

Others

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:21 pm

But then you have to import it back. expensive! Naaaa. HDI. It needs to be done. :D
Russ

Also

Eddie nuff
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by Eddie nuff » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:27 pm

Not necessarily if you find the right haulier, especially one who is running to Ireland.
89 XM 2.0Si RP4788 (Gold)

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:48 pm

True. And it would be another RHD 24v on the road..... Decisions decisions.
Russ

Also

xantia_v6
XM Guru

Post by xantia_v6 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:02 am

There might be a suitable donor at: http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/839740990.htm?ca=5_s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (assuming it is actually a 24V PRV). The registration has not been updated, so under French law, the car must be scrapped or exported, so the vendor will (eventually) have to accept something like scrap value. I believe it would be possible to register the car in the UK, but not in France.
1999 XM Exclusive V6 24V ES9 Manual (LHD) 105,000 km
1997 Xantia Exclusive V6 (RHD) 45,000 miles