Citsncycles XM

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
citsncycles
Knows how to use the parking brake
Orga / RP numbers: RP 5709 - Turbo SD

Re: Citsncycles XM

Post by citsncycles » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:10 pm

Yeah Russ, I'm expecting some popped seams - in fact it would make getting it back into shape easier, and as I can weld repairing popped seams shouldn't be too much of a problem. If the C post or sub frame had moved I'd have had to seriously consider scrapping it, but it would be a shame as it drives really well.

Maybe I shouldn't be saying this here, but it could have been worse as if I'd managed to finish Visal Diesel it woul dhave been parked there, and that would have been soul destroying after the hundred's of hours that have been put into welding that car!
Mike Sims
Mk1 XM Turbo SD
Lots of other Citroens, including 3xBX, GS, Visa, Dyane, Dyane Nomad, 2CV, HY pickup.
Also Land Rovers, Trabant, DKW cars, Honda, Ural, CZ, Mobylette and Puch motorcycles, and lots of bicycles and tricycles.

MTXM
Citroen God!

Post by MTXM » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:21 pm

Very sorry to hear about the damage to your car Mike but I am sure you will get it sorted! With regards, Matthew T.
1989 V6 Exclusive (Poland car) - Now living in a local Motor Museum!
1990 V6sei auto (grey auto)
1990 V6sei manual (gold car)
1990 V6.24 Pallas (Germany car)
1990 V6.24v (Scotland car)
Other previous XM sold and broken too many to mention!

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:32 pm

I wouldn't go buying any special body tools. Remove the bumper, bolt a strong chain to the rear panel and attach it to a strong fixed object, then drive forwards to pull the damage out opposite to the direction it went in.

If kinks need flattening with a hammer, do it with tension on the chain.

The tow bar is what causes the damage to move forwards and into the inner wing.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

jonathan_dyane
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by jonathan_dyane » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:34 pm

Bastards! Sorry to here about your misfortune, someone ran into mine while parked the other month too but the damage was more superficial.

I'm sure you'll do a grand job fettling it; don't forget to take lots of photos!
Jonathan.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate
1979 Citroen GS 1220 Club Estate
1999 Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer
1991 Kawasaki GT-550
1986 MZ ETZ 250

raynoon
Could do a 2.1 headgasket
Orga / RP numbers: 6043

Post by raynoon » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:49 am

It wasn't the same guy who ran into you on the roundabout was it? How did you get on with repairing the accident damage?
I stumbled across this whilst looking for info on repairing a broken spoiler mount...
1993 Citroen XM 2.1 turboSD auto
1995 Citroen XM 2.1TD Auto EXCLUSIVE

citsncycles

Post by citsncycles » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:07 pm

Right, it's been a busy year this year, with work getting more and more stressful until our temporary manager (covering my boss while he recovers from a quadruple bypass) decided that our shift patterns were illegal, while at the same time one of the Production managers, who likes dropping huge amounts of work on people in the late afternoon and expecting it done for the following morning went off on stress (couldn't happen to a more deserving bloke!)

Out of work, it's been buying and preparing another XM for the Challenge this summer, then struggling to keep both running while helping restore a mate's 1969 Dyane.

Oh, and I've ended up naming them both! Gandalf (the grey XM) has given little trouble, the main reason for not using him being that I ran out of mileage on the insurance! The MOT in February showed up some welding by the towbar on the side that got hit, and a worn CV joint that I knew about. The Westons ended up digging out a good 2nd hand joint in the end as the local motor factor couldn't get one with the right number of splines for my driveshaft. The Driver's lock barrel is worn out and sometimes decides to jam, and when I went over to visit family in Ireland I took a load of tools and parts and spent the week spraying the roof, straightening the back end a bit, replacing damaged lenses and changing the window mechanism in the driver's rear door (the motor on the original was siezed solid).

He then let me down in July when a coolant hose split on the way to a funeral in Northumberland. Mr RAC man managed a temporary repair on the side of the road and I managed to get home OK, although the speedo failed about 10 miles from home. The bottom engine mount is also soggy, so I have to change that too.

Now for the new one - a 1996 (registered in '98) 2.5TD VSX estate in white with factory leather interior, called Saruman (see what I did there?), which managed the Challenge thanks to Leo's K seal when oil started getting in the water when we hit the mountains. The following week it also got to Ireland for the All Ireland Rally, where it won best XM (and it wasn't the only one there!). I think the scrubbed interior, well polished exterior and the red Challenge and Citroen stickers are what swung it!

Since then when not working I've been helping restore a 1969 UK market Dyane 6, it's needed a little bit of welding, and now sports either new or 2nd hand a complete bulkhead including A pillars from the bottom of the windscreen down, floors, inner and outer sills, C posts, rear inner wings, boot floor and rear panel, with pretty much every other panel needing work.

That's drawing to a close, so I can concentrate on my own cars now, with Saruman coming off the road for a head gasket plus work on a variety of other more minor jobs, with the winter work being (hopefully) shared by Gandalf and Mitch, my BX 4X4 estate, once Gandalf gets his new engine mount, plus a bit more welding round the back, and Mitch gets recommissioned from a 12 year slumber.

Pics to follow, as I'm short on time now.
Mike Sims
Mk1 XM Turbo SD
Lots of other Citroens, including 3xBX, GS, Visa, Dyane, Dyane Nomad, 2CV, HY pickup.
Also Land Rovers, Trabant, DKW cars, Honda, Ural, CZ, Mobylette and Puch motorcycles, and lots of bicycles and tricycles.

dollywobbler
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by dollywobbler » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:18 pm

I don't know how you find the time Mike. I visited your 'stash' over the summer when buying my Dyane! Crikey is all I can say.
1986 2CV6 Dolly, 1980 Dyane
1995 XM S2 2.1TD SX Manual - RP6464
http://www.hubnut.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

citsncycles

Post by citsncycles » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:21 pm

Was that down in Warminster? If so that's just the long term storage! The 2CV and DKW are by my brother's, there's a Land Rover by Thornbury and the XM's, BX's, Dyane, GS and HY are at or close to home.
Mike Sims
Mk1 XM Turbo SD

cxprestigeauto
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by cxprestigeauto » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:32 pm

Mike, we really ought to meet up sometime. I am just down the road in overcast Calne.

My XM is feeling a little neglected at the moment following a rather busy period at work and now being off for minor surgery on my knee.

That said she is still running a charm (not likely to win any prizes mind you) and far more reliable than my wife's 15 plate Audi which has been in the garage for the last three weeks!!!!

Rob
1991 XM 2.0 Si auto RP 4903 (12 April 1990) Alpine White
2019 Suzuki Vitara AllGrip SZ5 Automatic 1.4 BoosterJet. White
1972 Banham Sprint kit car (Frogeye Sprite replica, really a Mini!)

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:21 pm

My v6 24v s1 manual was written off cat d with just a smashed off drivers mirror and small dent on top of the drivers door.. so little damage..

got loads of lamps etc here if needed...
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive