My XM Ph.I - 2.0 C.T. Automatic - Premiere - MOT Failure

General information about upcoming maintenance, and other events which affect the forum.
Dieselman
Global Moderator

Re: My XM Ph.I - 2.0 C.T. Automatic - Premiere - MOT Failure

Post by Dieselman » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:16 am

Hi John,

My comment was in respect to your tester stating he considered subframes to be suspension and not allowed to be welded. XM subframes are mild steel using mass as the strength element. We don't know the testers opinion on a weled repair to this car.

No doubt, the rest of the issues need addressing, the body corrosion being the most awkward.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

MarkXM2.0C.T.
XM newbie

Post by MarkXM2.0C.T. » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:15 pm

Thank you for your extensive replies!
I am still considering to get it repaired, especially via someone who know what he is doing. However, I thought of selling the car within a couple of months anyway. I am not really sure how easy it will be to sell an XM. Plus, what is the value of it? There are only a hand full of XM's for sale. I mean, if I spend £1000 on it, to what extent will it increase the value of the car? I'm aware that selling a car without MOT isn't really helping the value + that selling a car that has a long MOT does help, but where can I find some balance?
Here, as XM 'experts'; what would you think? Or would you might know someone who might be interested in buying the car?

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:41 pm

Where in the uk are you Mark??
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

MarkXM2.0C.T.
XM newbie

Post by MarkXM2.0C.T. » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:08 pm

In the area of Eastbourne (East-Sussex).

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:30 pm

Oh christ. . Opposite end of the country then.. not easy to pop it over to me...
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

MarkXM2.0C.T.
XM newbie

Post by MarkXM2.0C.T. » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:51 pm

I see you're in N-Wales. What would you consider?

Eddie nuff
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by Eddie nuff » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:50 am

Tbh I don't see that as a bad fail. Yeah it needs a few bits doing but nothing that's excessive or expensive. Lights, brake and hydraulic pipes, cv gaiter and number plate are easily sorted. Abs needs a bit more investigation but once found it's nowt. The welding around the seatbelt anchorage is easy to get at once the front trim and seats are removed.

The one part I find doesn't fit is that the front subframe has failed due to rust but the rear one is okay. As we all know the floor, jacking points and rear end are the places that suffer rust but these are fine whereas the front subframe, which is usually plastered in oil and filth, is a failure. Doesn't seem right to me.
89 XM 2.0Si RP4788 (Gold)

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:39 am

Front sub-frame can rust badly on the top and sides of the front cross member.
This is supports the radiator pack.
Generally this rust is difficult for the MOT man to get to and find fault.
The structural bottom cover plates on the two side members can rust heavily and distort from the main frame.
This is can be made much worse on cars with a factory under-tray which have thick open cell foam sound deadening on to.
This can fill up with salt laden water held in direct contact with the underside of the steel of the sub-frame.
All is happy and hidden until the under-tray gets removed because its in the way or falling to bits.
Factory paint and protection treatment of sub-frame steel is way below that applied to the chassis parts.
Most front sub-frame sections are beefed up but the cover plate seems a bit on the thin side.

Weld repair work in the southern part of the country is generally not easy to source and so expensive where available.
Many garages either refuse the work or are not permitted such work by their insurance companies.

John

MarkXM2.0C.T.
XM newbie

Post by MarkXM2.0C.T. » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:30 pm

Hmhm, I agree with what has been stated above. I'll pick up the car later today and make some pictures of the corrosion.
@xmexclusive: I believe I sent you a PM/DM re: that garage. Or you might want to send me one? I'm not sure if I did something wrong.
Anyway, a second opinion / a different garage seems to be the next step for now.

Thank you all again.

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:56 pm

Try:
Andrew Lamb
CMC Ltd
Unit 3, Blackbrook Business Park
Blackbrook Road
Fareham
Hampshire
PO15 5DR
Tel: 01329 823600
email: sales@citroenrepairs.net

I suggest you speak to Andy himself on the phone rather than take the car that distance on the off chance.
After he has told you he hates working on XM's (DS's and tin snails etc depending on type needing repair) he should give a fair idea of what is possible and likely cost.

John